According to an article posted on ESPN.com (from the AP), Yankee catcher Jorge Posada is hoping that he can postpone or delay surgery on his ailing shoulder:

NEW YORK -- New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada wants to put off surgery on his right shoulder even if it means sacrificing the start of next season. If he does play the rest of this year, it won't be behind the plate.

On the disabled list for the second time this season, Posada had his throwing shoulder examined by New York Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek on Tuesday, and surgery was again recommended. An MRI showed fraying in the tendons around the labrum, but not a rotator cuff tear, Posada said Wednesday before the Yankees played the Minnesota Twins.

He missed more than a month earlier this season with right rotator cuff tendinitis.

"I've got 15 days to make a decision," said Posada, who went on the DL Monday. "I'll rehab it and see how it feels and have a decision by then."

In his 14th season, Posada is extremely proud about being a full-time catcher his entire career. But he said that if he is to continue playing this season, catching is "out of the question" for the remainder of the year.

"It's not about me. It's about the team now, how can I help the team. That's why I'm going to go through the rehab," Posada said. "If I'm able to hit, I'm going to try to do that. If I'm not able to hit, I'm going to have surgery."

Posada said the Yankees agreed with his decision to keep playing even with the possibility of a six-month rehab looming after surgery.

Posada will continue his rehabilitation regime without throwing drills and will make a decision based on how the shoulder is responding.

"The doctor said if I'm not throwing, it won't get weak because I'm not throwing," Posada said. "I can strengthen it and hit. Then it won't get weak. They put me on the DL to make a decision of what to do and strengthen and rehab it and go from there."

To continue reading this article, click here.

0 comments
Baseball Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog search directory Blogging Fusion Blog Directory